BMW Flagship sets new standards
The newly updated 2013 BMW 7 Series will again set new benchmarks in its class for performance, luxury, efficiency and safety.
The powertrain updates include:
- Significant powertrain upgrades for 740i/Li and 750i/Li models- Powertrain upgrades offer better performance and improved efficiency. While the 760Li, with its 6.0-liter Twin Turbo V12, remains the pinnacle in the BMW 7 Series line, both inline-6 cylinder 740i/Li and V8-powered 750i/Li models receive significant enhancements, designed to deliver both better performance and greater efficiency.
- BMW’s 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission- Every 7 Series model now features an intelligent 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission that offers significantly reduced fuel consumption and emissions. Auto Start-Stop, Brake Energy Regeneration and the second-generation Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO mode offer additional potential for fuel-saving
- xDrive – BMW’s intelligent all-wheel drive system –Another significant option for customers in the US is the availability of xDrive, BMW’s intelligent all-wheel drive system, for the 2013 BMW 740Li.
- A completely new powertrain for the ActiveHybrid 7 -The substantially revised ActiveHybrid 7 sets new standards for efficiency while still delivering on the promise of The Ultimate Driving Machine®. Giving the new BMW ActiveHybrid 7 an outstanding balance between performance and efficiency.
The technology updates include:
- Auto Start-Stop-All new BMW 7 Series models come equipped with Auto Start-Stop which can cut fuel consumption by up to six percent.
- The new BMW 7 Series comes with available Dynamic Damper Control.–The 7 Series is the world’s first car to feature an electronically controlled damping system whose shock absorbers are adjusted individually at each wheel based on the condition of the road surface and the driving style.
- Active Roll Stabilization, which is standard on the 760Li and optional on other models -Sensors calculate the amount of body roll which is quickly counteracted by rotary actuators in the front and rear anti-roll bars. This system allows drivers to thread the car through corners with even greater agility and precision.
- All BMW 7 Series models are now equipped with self-leveling rear air suspension - Which keeps the car riding at a constant height no matter what kind of driving conditions it encounters and regardless of the loads on board. This automatic self-leveling suspension responds to any change in load by adjusting the suspension at the relevant wheel. This means that only small interventions are required in response to spring movements caused by road imperfections and cornering lean. This feature was previously available only on long wheelbase models in the US.
- Adaptive LED Headlights - The new BMW 740i/Li and 750i/Li are equipped with standard Adaptive Xenon headlights. Adaptive LED Headlights, which are optional on those models and standard on the 760Li, provide a fresh take on this established feature. In both cases, the Corona light rings for the parking lights and daytime running lights also featuring LEDs.The Adaptive LED Headlights are, however, about more than just looking good; they also ensure the driver has optimum visibility. Their bright white light provides a bright and even illumination of the road ahead. From a color perspective, the light comes much closer to natural daylight than that created by conventional halogen or xenon headlights. LED technology is also deployed for the turn signal indicators, each of which consists of eight LED units arranged in a row underneath the light rings
- The BMW 7 Series now boasts an even more extensive Active Protection safety package thanks to the addition of the Attention Assistant - At the start of every journey when the driver and front passenger fasten their seat belts, the Active Protection motorized belt retractors reduce any belt slack. If the car enters a critical pre-crash scenario, the driver and front passenger belts are pulled tight, and the side windows and sunroof are closed. Active Protection deduces that a collision is likely based on data from the front-mounted camera or radar, an emergency braking maneuver by the driver. The system’s electronics analyze driving behavior on the basis of various signals such as steering angle, road speed and other engine parameters. If the system increasingly detects telltale signs of fatigue starting to build up, the central Control Display encourages the driver to take a break by displaying a coffee cup symbol.
The design updates include:
- Innovation and stylish presence - The BMW 7 Series has traditionally set the highest standards for aesthetic appeal and innovative technology. In the luxury sedan segment it represents the epitome of athletic elegance and sporty driving dynamics. The new BMW 7 Series reaffirms its stylish presence and sporting prowess through expressive new design features at the front and rear.
- From the front - The long, broad hood of the BMW 7 Series gives it an elegant profile. The contour lines of the hood draw the eye to the upright new BMW kidney grille as they extend forward. The grille’s chrome surround is now larger, a change which – together with a new kidney grille design that includes nine slats in place of the previous 12 – gives it greater prominence and reinforces the car’s presence on the road.
- A large, full-width air intake dominates the lower section of the revised front apron - It is now split into three sections, a pair of chrome bars marking its outer sections and adding further depth to the car’s sporty looks. Included is BMW’s innovative “air curtain” technology, which lowers fuel consumption at higher speeds by forcing the air to flow more aerodynamically around the front wheels.
- The exteriors mirrors have been redesigned– They now feature integrated directional indicators.
- The BMW 7 Series now offers even easier access to the trunk with hands-free trunk opening. - Standing behind the car, a quick movement of the foot under the center of the rear bumper is enough to open the trunk. The trunk then automatically unlocks and swings open. In order for the system to work, the key must be present.
The interior updates include:
- A traditional feature of BMW interiors is the driver-oriented ergonomics - In the new 7, this includes newly designed, more slender front seats offering the best possible ergonomics, optimum lateral support and long-distance comfort. The new BMW 7 Series offers individual rear comfort seats as standard equipment on the 760Li and optional on other models.
- New Bang & Olufsen Surround Sound System -A new level of listening pleasure for the dedicated audiophile. When it comes to delivering audio pleasure of the highest order, the Bang & Olufsen High-End Surround Sound System designed especially for the new BMW 7 Series hits all the right notes.
- New-generation navigation system - Display and control in the third dimension. The latest-generation navigation system features a revised design and honed operating system. The menu-driven navigation system has been augmented by new functions. The user interface includes revised graphics and now comprises 3D elements, while the entire architecture of the individual menus is now presented in virtual, three dimensional spaces.
- The long-wheelbase 7 Series provides the ideal platform for long-distance comfort. - All of the 5.5 inches added to the wheelbase of the standard-length 7 Series is used to create a first-class environment for the rear passengers. Changes to the roofline of long-wheelbase models create nearly half an inch of extra headroom in the rear.
- The optional Rear Seat Entertainment Package- Now includes an iDrive controller and two 9.2-inch screens which, instead of being integrated into the front seats, appear to be “floating” on them.
- New ambient lighting for the interior creates a pleasant ambience, especially at night - It includes footwell lights for the driver and front passenger and indirect roof liner illumination via lights integrated into the B-pillars. The color of the ambient light can be altered according to taste.
- The mobile office - Dictation function, voice memos and voice control. The latest-generation navigation system features a full speech recognition function and optimized voice control system to complete the portfolio of office functions offered by BMW ConnectedDrive. The full speech recognition system now includes the dictation function which gives drivers the opportunity to dictate text freely and compose short text-based messages simply by saying what they wish to write. The advantage to the driver is the ability to quickly store ideas or to-do items and send them to the relevant addressee(s) – without being distracted.
As has been the case with every generation of BMW 7 Series, the new 2013 model brings with it a host of innovations and enhancements all designed to ensure that, when it arrives in US showrooms in late summer 2012, except for the ActiveHybrid 7 which will arrive in early fall. The BMW 7 Series will continue to set the standard for performance, efficiency, luxury and safety.